So as we deal with the possibility of more snow on the horizon, let's take a moment to think spring and start planning for some fun. Here's some of what you can look forward to in your Monmouth County parks this spring:
- Spring Craft Show on Saturday, April 22 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at Tatum Park, Middletown. This is the perfect chance to get Mom something special for Mother's Day, find a unique gift for a friend, or a beautiful trinket for yourself.
- Great Spring Perennial Plant Swap at Deep Cut Gardens, Middletown. An awesome event for home gardeners! Bring plants in one-quart, one-gallon or two-gallon containers and take home the same size and number of plants. Herb and vegetable seedlings may be exchanged as well. All plants must be labeled and invasive plants will not be accepted. Plants can be dropped off from 8:30-10 a.m. to allow for plant inspection; then the swap will run from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. for participants to choose their new plants.
- Earth Day Celebration from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday, April 22. Earth Day means all around the county! You can discover cool coastal animals at Bayshore Waterfront Park, Port Monmouth; enjoy the gardens at Deep Cut Gardens, Middletown; meet snakes and reptiles at Huber Woods Environmental Center, Middletown; take a nature walk, meet live reptiles and amphibians or do a craft at the Manasquan Reservoir Environmental Center, Howell; or make a fun craft that celebrates environmental awareness and Mother Earth at the Thompson Park Visitor Center, Lincroft.
- Wool Days on Saturday & Sunday, April 29 & 30, from 12-3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. This weekend our farm staff will be shearing the sheep. There will also be sheep herding demonstrations by Gene Sheninger, spinning and weaving activities, and wagon rides to the Monmouth County Historical Association's Holmes Hendrickson house.
- Creative Arts & Music Festival on Saturday, May 6 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at Thompson Park, Lincroft. Spend the day browsing local artwork and enjoying great music. Food vendors will be on hand to quench your appetite.
- Walnford Day on Sunday, May 21 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Upper Freehold. If you've never taken a trip out to Walnford, this is the perfect day to do it! The whole family can take a step back in time to participate in hands-on historical activities, view woodworking and blacksmith demonstrations, see the working gristmill in action, explore the 1773 Waln House, play games and much more.
These are just some of the fantastic events happening in your Monmouth County parks this spring. There are many more activities for you to enjoy; check out our Calendar of Events.
Plus, don't miss out on the hundreds of programs we're offering. Brand new programs like A Painting a Day, Food Fusion: Mixing International Flavors, Gaelic Football, On the Trails Spring 2017, Roller Derby Fit and so many more! Don't miss out on all the affordable and fun programs currently available! Plus, you can even start planning your kids' summer fun! Our summer camps and swim lessons are available for registration too! Visit our Registration page for more information on spring and summer camp programs.
See you in the parks!