"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan
Did you know that the average American child can recognize approximately 1,000 brand logos but cannot recognize 10 plants or animals native to their area? Or that children in the US average about 30 minutes a week of outdoor activity but average almost 45 hours a week of electronic media exposure? There is no better time to make a step toward change by heading out to the parks this Saturday, June 9 during National Get Outdoors Day.
There's always something to do in the Monmouth County Park System parks, whether it's a structured program, special event, drop-in program, or just a visit. Here's a list of some things to get you outdoors on June 9th for National Get Outdoors Day (and hopefully will bring you back for more too!):
- Thompson Park Canoe Rentals - Canoes will be available for a relaxing weekend paddle at Thompson Park Marlu Lake, Lincroft. All equipment provided; limited number of canoes available. Fee: $15.00 per canoe for 1-3 people for 2 hours (cash or check only).
- Explore Tatum Park, Middletown, with a Park System Naturalist as your guide during our Roving Naturalist drop-in program. Free!
- Bring your children to one of our many playgrounds! Playgrounds are located at the following parks: Dorbrook Recreation Area, Colts Neck; Holmdel Park, Holmdel; Manasquan Reservoir, Howell; Mount Mitchill Scenic Overlook, Atlantic Highlands; Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park, Long Branch; Shark River Park, Neptune; Tatum Park, Middletown; Thompson Park, Lincroft; Turkey Swamp Park, Freehold. Free!
- Cool off at the Dorbrook Recreation Area Sprayground in Colts Neck. Free!
- Walk, run or bike some of over 124 miles of trails. Free!
- Get in a round of golf at one of our scenic golf courses. (See website for golf fees and charges.)
- Hit the beach at Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park, Long Branch for some fun in the sun. (See website for cost of daily passes and badges.)
- Take a step back in time at one of our wonderful historic locations: Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel or Historic Walnford, Upper Freehold. Free!
- View over 200 species of animals by taking a trip with us to the Cape May Zoo! (Pre-registration and fee required.)
- Play with your pup off the leash at one of our off-leash dog areas at Thompson Park, Lincroft or Wolf Hill Recreation Area, Oceanport. Free!
- Drop a line and see what you get! Fishing is available at 13 park locations. Just remember, a NJ Fishing License is required for those ages 16-69 when doing any freshwater fishing. Free!
- Learn about the wildlife of the Manasquan Reservoir with a boat tour. Weekend boat tours of the reservoir are available on Saturdays and Sundays at 1:00pm, 2:00pm, 3:00pm and 4:00pm from May 5 through October 8. (Adults: $5.75; Children 12 and under: $3.75)
- Camp out under the stars! Turkey Swamp Park in Freehold has 64 family campsites available from April 1 through November 15 and have all the amenities your family will need to have an enjoyable retreat. (Call 732-462-7286 for reservation and pricing information.)
- Stop and smell the roses. A visit to Deep Cut Gardens, Middletown is sure to please the entire family with 54 beautiful acres of gardens and greenhouses to explore. Free!
- Explore various parks while completing our annual Rockin' the Trails challenge. Free!
Exploring the outdoors is not only a wonderful way to get some exercise, it also promotes relaxation and a greater sense of the world around us. Come, visit and enjoy your Monmouth County Park System parks. We're waiting for you!
If you're looking for additional activities that may not be listed here, check out our website or call us at 732-842-4000, ext. 4312, Monday-Friday from 8:00am-4:30pm, and Saturday-Sunday from 10:00am-4:00pm.